Monday, July 6, 2009

Un'faith'ful...

years ago I married 'reason', the perfect wife
beautiful and lucid, my partner for life

reason showed me a life as pure as gold
sparkling and pure, divinely so
yet reason is brutal and ruthless and cold
and she never loved me so I had to go

on a journey to find myself, destroyed by knowledge
I was mere substance, a ghost, a wraith
then I saw someone I never did acknowledge
the one that always waited,the wonderful 'faith'

faith smiled at me and all of my flaws
faith never demanded or made any laws
reason had conditions, faith had only one
that I trust in something and there's no need to run

now faith is my mistress, my place of refuge,
my shield from distress and from reason's subterfuge
reason is honest , yes the perfect wife
and she had promised me the answers to life

but reason's answers are cold and sterile
and faith touched my soul, made my passion fertile
reason always dictates the way I should live
yet faith never tells me what I should believe

I love reason for life don't get me wrong
yet faith also has wonderful presence
reason departs at the end of the song
but faith remains one with my essence

So,
reason will analyse me to see if I was truthful
but faith will still love me even if I am un'faith'ful

8 comments:

pooja said...

It's beautiful Dada.

Mukta said...

You are lucky that you have faith. Not every one does. At least not of the kind that you seem to be referring to. The sad part is either you believe or you don't, you cannot learn to have faith.
Nice poem :)

Nandini said...

having both with a balance is what's challenging.. I guess suffering teaches that.. :) good one

Unknown said...

its a very satisfying feeling to realize that u have faith...but reason is also very essential!! thats actually the balance which nandini has mentioned. very thoughtfully written!

WildMagic said...

वाह वाह..क्या बात हैं।

Wonderfully expressed, once again. Faith might not have reasons, but I always want my faith to be reasonable. Unreasonable faith strikes me as intellectual laziness.

To stay sane though, one does need faith. So we take our faith with good faith.

Unknown said...

The idea that faith-the-mistress lured you to be un-faith-ful to reason is enticingly thoughtful. Loved the way you put it so tersely.

Meghana said...

Reason and Faith.interesting comparison.

Nicely written and expressed..

What if you have Faith in reason itself ?

Yadnyesh said...

Dr. Kelkar, excellent poem, reason as wife and faith as mistress.. and place for both!!
Great poem!

About Me

My photo
just your regular guy who dreams too much. i read a lot don't remember it all though.. swim, trek, yoga.. think and read more.. that about sums it up..